Crispy Cauliflower & Chickpea Tacos
I think I could eat tacos every day and be happy! I mean seriously, so MANY possibilities! How could you limit yourself to just Taco Tuesdays?? I've been meaning to make a crispy cauliflower version for a while, but it wasn't until I saw these Harissa Cauliflower "Wings" from my pal, Kara Lydon, RD at The Foodie Dietitian, that my attention was redirected with laser focus.
We all LOVE cauliflower around here... perhaps a bit too much (is that even possible... nah!), but it does become problematic when you're dyin' to make somethin' new and the head of cauliflower has already been hacked into... multiple times in a row! So it's taken sooo long to finally get this one together (I did have to threaten dish duty for the next person to touch my cauliflower!) - putting it into perspective, that's a good problem to have, yes?!
After checkin' out Kara's drool-worthy Harissa Cauliflower "Wings", I realize I'm missing a key ingredient... no harissa! Also, I wanted a meal, not a snack or appetizer. A little more pantry and fridge rummaging and my plan is set - lightly coated, crispy cauliflower bites and well-seasoned chickpeas tucked into warm corn tortillas alongside cabbage slaw and a drizzle of sambal oelek - perfect!
These were a huge hit (even with the non-chickpea lover)! I think you're gonna love them too.
Let's get goin'! PRINT HERE
Total Time: 40-45 minutes Prep Time: 10-15 minutes Bake Time: 30-35 minutes
Here's what you need for 8 tacos:
For the CAULIFLOWER:
1 medium head of cauliflower
2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp paprika (preferably smoked)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt (preferable smoked)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
For the CHICKPEAS:
1 can chickpeas (15 oz), drained and rinsed
2 tsp olive oil
2 Tbsp nut butter
1/2 tsp salt (preferably smoked)
1/2 tsp chili powder
For the SLAW:
2/3 cup bell pepper, any color, cut into strips (~ 1/2 med bell pepper)
2/3 cup of carrots, grated (~ 2 carrots)
2/3 cup purple cabbage, finely shredded (~ 1/4 sm cabbage)
8 corn tortillas, yellow or white
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
sambal oelek, or your favorite hot sauce
1. Wash, trim and cut cauliflower into bite-sized pieces (include the stalk too). Blot dry.
2. In a bowl, toss the cauliflower with 2 Tbsp of olive oil until evenly coated. Add the flour and spices, toss again until evenly coated.
3. Arrange pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet or cast iron skillet (I used my cast iron pizza pan); don't crowd or they'll steam instead of crisping. Bake at 400 degrees, bottom rack, 30-35 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
4. While the cauliflower is baking, shred/slice the veggies for the slaw and set aside.
5. Next, make the seasoned chickpeas. Heat a medium skillet (I use cast iron for even heat) over med/high heat. Add the 2 tsp olive oil, chickpeas and spices. Toss to coat. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until they begin to crisp. Turn down the heat and add the nut butter. Stir to coat evenly; keep warm.
6. Heat a griddle (or use direct heat) to warm and slightly char the tortillas. Keep warm.
7. As soon as the cauliflower is done, begin assembling the tacos (cauliflower will be crispiest while still HOT).
8. Tortilla > slaw > chickpeas > crispy cauliflower > cilantro > sambal oelek. Devour!
Nutrition information is for two tacos.
Some other options:
~ Swap out the chickpeas for black beans (skip the nut butter)
~ Add some slices of avocado
~ Add a squeeze of fresh lime
~ Swap the sambal oelek for a drizzle of my Roasted Jalapeno Lime Sauce
DISCLOSURES: None. This post was not created in affiliation with any product or brand. The opinions expressed are my own. I will only write about products I use and trust.
NOTE: All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on A Seat at My Table so credit is given where credit is due. Thank you!